Country Omelette


The morning saw me hungry and the household asleep. What to do? On a holiday, pequeno almoso demanded something different. So when I browsed into my Weekender collection of recipes in their weekly 'A La Carte' page I came out with parathas -- and omelette. Though I drooled at the memory of aunty Ahuja's parathas on a hungry Sunday morning in Delhi after Mass at Masigarh church, Ohkla, it was beyond me to produce it myself! What I had was the recipe of 'Country Omelette.' Now what was that?! I can make a passable omelette -- a spiffing one at a pinch -- I was drawn to this one because it used milk. Here's how it went.

(Serves 2)

Ingredients
3 eggs
1/3 cup milk
Hint of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (Amul cheese)
1 tbsp chopped green onion (spring/bulb onions)
1/4 tsp salt
Pepper to taste

Method
In a large bowl, beat the eggs until slightly frothy, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Pour in the egg mixture. As the egg sets, lift the edges of the omelette and tilt the pan slightly to allow uncooked egg to reach the pan's surface. When egg is nearly set, cover the pan and cook for 2 more minutes until the surface looks dry. Top one half of the omelette with cheese and chopped green onion. Fold in half. Garnish with extra chopped green onion. Serve hot.
-------------------------------------------
Soon Queenie joined me and we both did a duet making the breakfast. Baba helped by breaking the eggs. With FM radio music belting out ABBA from its perch on the fridge, our morning was made. We used Amul cheese and ordinary onions. When I was foxed by 'Worcestershire sauce,' imagine my delight when Queenie produced it. She said she used it for steaks. The sauce has quite a history, and nudges you to read up on its culinary and cultural antecedents. It contains anchovies, garlic and tamarind. Ham, hash browns and sauteed onions are also recommended at sheknows(dot)com. The omelette turned soft and fluffy and melted in the mouth. Let's do it again!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Recipe from Weekender 20 April 2014; Pix courtesy mrbreakfast(dot)com Updated 26 May 2020.

Comments