‘He keeps me from the grave’



-Brian Mendonça

He keeps me from the grave
and blesses me with love and mercy.
He fills my life with good things,
So that I stay young and strong like an eagle.
(Bible, Psalm 103)

The words of the psalmist for Easter Sunday seem so true in the light of the risen Lord.* Reflecting on the beautiful verse, it is easy to imagine how everyday ‘He keeps me from the grave.’ I am held in the palm of His hand so I can rise and see a new day in the munificence of Spring. Because, like a tender shoot, I am nurtured by his love and mercy, ‘I stay young and strong like an eagle.’

The implicit trust one has in the Lord is a rare thing. Yet if one traces back the years, so often it is the Lord who has brought us to safe harbour.  As in the case of Pundalik and his wife Daisy, when nothing was working out, the Lord showed them the way.

Driving down, I used to see his vehicle parked by the side of the road in the evenings. On one occasion I pulled over and purchased some of the reasonably priced items to supplement our dinner. Until the next customer rolled by, he would spend the time in prayer.

One day I had a tête-à-tête with Pundalik as the cars whizzed past. He told me that he and his wife had been IT professionals for twelve years in Pune but they were not happy in their jobs.  They moved to Goa. He even spent time in the Middle East hoping to send some money home to make ends meet. However when he reached Dubai he was double-crossed and made to work for things that were not agreed upon.  Salaries were delayed for months. Fed up he left and returned to Goa.



Clutching at straws, and believing strongly in his wife’s cooking, Pundalik embarked on the bold idea to sell Daisy’s homemade dishes as takeaways by the wayside. The idea took off and soon people were placing orders from far and wide to avail of their signature preparations.


I was drawn to Pundalik’s story because years back when we left Delhi -- after ten years -- to return to Goa I too was clutching at straws. With time not on my side I was wondering what I could do in Goa. I then decided to swoop down to Goa even if I had to sell Queenie’s prawn curry rice. That didn’t actually happen but it was reassuring to have Plan B. Things worked out for us in the Lord’s time – despite the numerous naysayers. Truly, when you are convinced about a decision, the universe aligns itself to your purpose.

Pundalik and Daisy take heart from the verse ‘I can do all things through Him who strengthens me’ (Philippians 4: 13). They had busted all the myths. Now they live on their own terms. Praise the Lord!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*God’s Word 2016: Daily Reflections. (Bangalore: St. Pauls, 2016); Published in Gomantak Times Weekender, St. Inez, Goa on Sunday 3 April 2016; Pix courtesy yournextworth.com and Pundalik.

Comments